Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bon Ane Zanmi Mwen Yo!

I haven't posted since before the new year so I feel obliged to wish you all a "Bon Ane!" (Happy New Year!) I hope you had fun, but not too much fun, of course!

So I have to admit that it was a little difficult readjusting to Haitian life, those first few days here. I don't know if those are the words I really want to put to my feelings, but it's the best I can come up with right now. The fact that I put up all of my pictures of friends, my parents, and my cat and dog made it a little more difficult. I look at them every night before I go to sleep and I feel a little homesick, missing everyone. I know it's only natural being this far away. But, as the days pass, it gets a little easier. I wish you could all be here with me though.

Liz and I graded the exams the students took before we left and the results were a little discouraging. The main problem is that most students don't attend regularly. Those who do did much better. And the last few days, we have only have a few students for each class. It messes up lesson plans and I feel bad when I don't have much to do with the couple who come. I've been bringing books and having them read aloud. Woo-hoo. Today, I wanted to work on conversations about family a little, so I wrote on the board: "What is your _____'s name?" "My ____'s name is _____." So I asked one student: "What is your sister's name?" She said: "My sister is dead." I asked her: "What is your father's name?" She said: "My father is dead." What do you say to that?! It's times like these that I'm reminded where I am and what the disasters this countries has faced and continues to face.

But, I've been able to play soccer for a few minutes after class the last two days! That always gets me revved up. I am so out of shape it is ridiculous. (I will admit that last night I walked up one flight of stairs and a ladder and was tired. Don't laugh.) I failed one of my students several times during the game for blocking my shots and causing me to fall on the dirt playing field. I miss exercise! I might just have to start running around the house or sneak out since Valentin will be in the states for a few weeks. Don't tell!

I'm just about to head up to the roof to watch some "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" with Liz. The generator ran out of gas so I'm typing in the dark...but it's all good!

Orevwa.

No comments:

Post a Comment